September 13, 2007

Feed me!

Well, I'm feeling pretty yucky. Basically, if I don't eat every hour, I feel like I could crawl into a hole and die. So I'm snacking frequently, while still trying to follow my meal plan set out by my nutritionist. However I'm pretty sure her meal plan did not include anything about 2 mama burgers yesterday. But, I HAD TO HAVE THEM. Hilarious. Normally I'm a baby burger kind of person, but oh no, not yesterday.

I'm also still working out 5 days per week, when Ian's schedule allows it. Yesterday I went to the gym. WHY OH WHY do they have to have mirrors everywhere? The last thing I need to see is the tummy that I have worked so diligently to shrink over the last 6 months, grow bigger and bigger. Yes, it is inevitable. But do I need to see it? No...

The kids are so adorable about all of this. Cohen is desperately trying to think of names. Too bad for him we keep shooting down his suggestions. No, I do not want a son named "Spongebob". Or, "transformer". He's so sweet though...I get home from work and he asks, "how's baby feeling today, mom?". ADORABLE.

I have my first appointment with my family doc next week. I'll have to pee in a cup to make sure I'm really pregnant... and then he'll send me to the group of OB-GYN's that I went to for Cohen and Lili. Which kind of sucks. They are all competent docs, but overworked. I remember waiting 60 minutes to see them, and then being rushed through an appointment (2 minutes, no joke). And of course, since I see a different doc each time (there are 5 of them), sometimes they forget to tell me stuff. Like with Lili - "so, how is that gestational diabetes going?" WHAT???? yeah. They forgot to tell me (btw - I didn't actually have it. My levels were slighly elevated, but still in normal range. So they freaked me out for nothing).

I wish I could have a midwife instead. However, I do not have $3500. I am still considering a doula. It makes such a huge difference. If this was my first, for sure, without a doubt, I'd hire a doula. But for the third time... I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing. I just have to remember:

1 - labour at home for as long as humanly possible. no matter how much agony you are in, you're probably only 3cm or less (1st baby), or if you're lucky and wait it out, 5cm (2nd baby).
2 - ignore any attempts of nurses to get you to be quiet while in labour. it is not natural... the more grunting and yelling, the better. one has to release the pain somehow.
3 - ignore any attempts of nurses to get you on your back during labour. this is completely unnatural, and will cause the pain to multiply x100. they can start an IV and take my BP while i'm standing. and if they can't, i'll get ian to do it.
4 - let gravity help. squat, bend over, sit on your hands and knees... so much faster....
5 - it is NORMAL for the baby's heartrate to decelerate during contractions... don't panic, don't panic
6 - C-sections are far more convenient for docs. Plus they get paid more. They are a good thing when required, but it is estimated that 75% of C-sections are not actually required. Yes, those "emergency" C-sections.

UGH god why am i thinking about labour, so much time for that still...

well, time to eat again. and again. and again.

m.

1 comments:

Jillian Camwell September 13, 2007 at 7:47 AM  

Good to have the voice of experience! (For me and for you going into this again!)

Have you read Ina May's guide to childbirth? Wonderfully reassuring--great birth stories in the first section. It's all about taking the fear out of childbirth.

And baby makes 5 2008 © Blog Design 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

Back to TOP