July 17, 2008

Math 30... uh huh

Ok, so just for kicks, I went to the library today to check out some of this silly "Pure Math 30" stuff (it's a prerequisite for the degree I'm looking into).

I almost peed myself laughing. Now, it has been 12 years since I was in high school (holy f-word). Add to that the fact that I didn't really study during school, and math was the only subject I struggled with (hmm, perhaps the not studying had something to do with that?). I was fabulous at it up until grade 10, when I had the worst, asshole-jock teacher who treated all music students like crap. And he HATED me.

So, long story short, I have Math 33 (now called "applied Math 30" - basically, enough math to help you pay your bills every month, not much more). I can barely remember my multiplication tables (which is probably all right, apparently it's all done by calculator now)...

So, today I went online and ordered myself a Grade 7 math textbook. And I'm gonna do it from page 1. Hopefully I can manage the grade 7 stuff. Seriously - they say that the curiculum these days is about 2 years more advanced than it was a decade ago.

Man.

I am also having to do Bio 30. At least I have Science 30, so I'm hoping Bio 30 won't be such a stretch for me. I took out a Bio 30 book from the library, and will probably start my online course in September. Did I mention that? I have to actually take Bio 30 and Pure Math 30 STARTING IN SEPTEMBER if I want to make the application deadline to the program I'm looking into.

Geezus.

So, these evenings, you'll find me pouring over Biology and Math textbooks...

3 comments:

Jillian Camwell July 17, 2008 at 4:19 PM  

What degree are you looking into?

and more important...

Who was this math teacher? Were we in the same class? You'll have to remind me! (I don't remember mine treating musicians like crap...I had Mr. McKnight for all 3 years.)

Nancy B July 18, 2008 at 11:03 AM  

Try this:
Thomson River Open University.

Before I found communications, I was considering teacher's college and I had to go back and get math and biology. Sound familiar? I did it through correspondence at the Open University which is now this Thomson River place. Anyone, anywhere can do it.

No semesters. Can do any time.

Your educational, family tree, communications consultant, and cousin,
Nancy

bluemoon July 19, 2008 at 5:31 AM  

It totally was Mr McKnight. He told me once that he hated teaching music students (music students were grouped into many of the same classes at central for planning reasons) because we were lazy and thought we were better than everyone else. I kid you not.

I'm looking into nursing... or health administration... or communications... or ??????

And baby makes 5 2008 © Blog Design 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

Back to TOP