May 5, 2009

Leonard Cohen

For my birthday this year, I was absolutely stunned to find myself going to the Leonard Cohen concert in Edmonton. We were unable to get tickets to the Calgary show, but got great seats in Edmonton, thanks to my Dad and Joyce. As an added bonus, since money is so tight these days, a dear, wonderful, fabulous friend offered to pay for our hotel room for the night (thanks Karm!).

I think I was so focused on getting out of town without the kids (it's been 6 years since that happened last), that I sort of forgot about how excited I was to see Leonard Cohen. And maybe, just maybe I didn't really believe that it was going to happen.

But oh, oh it happened. It was so amazing. He BOUNDED on stage - at 74! - and his voice was fabulous. As soon as I spotted him on stage, I started to weep. Totally unexpected. I knew I'd probably tear-up during a few songs, but I did not expect to be so completely overwhelmed by just the sight of him! Amazing! I cried through the entire concert. Each song he played held special memories for Ian and I, and the kids - we sang many, many songs to the kids in the middle of the night throughout the years.

Anyway. He played so many of the great songs, and even treated us to some spoken poetry, which was almost more intimate and breathtaking! The band was amazing, the back-up singers were fantastic, and I couldn't take my eyes off of Leonard the entire time.

And the rest of the audience felt much the same way, I'm sure - there was that amazingly spontaneous standing ovation (musicians know the one) several times. In fact, he played 6 encores, playing for an amazing 3.5 hours. At 74 years old!

It was incredible. As Ian put it - it was the closest thing to a religious experience that he's ever had.

So fantastic.

Anyway - it was a very nice birthday. We spent the next day walking through West Edmonton Mall, and then came home. It was a small trip, but it was nice to spend some time alone with Ian!

31 years old now... which is fine - Ian and I both got ID'd at the concert, hahah! I'm enjoying my 30's so far - so much less anxiety than my 20's - and although the future is still pretty unclear for me, I'm confident that I can handle whatever comes my way.

And, as an added bonus, it's SPRING! I love it.

Which reminds me - Luci is almost a year old! !! !! !! Huh???


0 comments:

And baby makes 5 2008 © Blog Design 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

Back to TOP