July 14, 2008

2 months old, 6 years old!

Luci is 2 months old today, and Cohen turned 6! WOW, I can't believe I've been a mom for 6 years already. That's crazy-talk.

Our day was quite busy and fun - my mom came and we took Cohen out for brunch this morning. Then my dad and step-mom came and brought cake for everyone. Then, we ordered pizza (Cohen's choice) and once Ian came home from work, took the kids to see Wall-E (EXCELLENT MOVIE!!!!!!!!). Cohen was all smiles all day, which was nice.

For the record - this was Luci's second movie at the theatre, and like the first time, she slept pretty much through the entire movie. I am SO grateful for that... makes life much easier, even though I was sitting right by the exit door just in case.

Been doing some thinking about my future lately - career-wise. Wondering if I should go back to school, and if so, for what? Obviously, if I'm going to go back to school, it's going to have to result in a job that 1) pays more than I make now and 2) will pay for the schooling within a year or two. And it's going to have to be what I call a "forever career" (as opposed to a temporary career!). If I'm going to shell out 20 grand or so for another 4 years of school, that's it, that's the one. As Ian says, we're only allowed 2 degrees each (although there is an exception for more than one degree in the same subject).

I dunno. If I am going back to school, I'll still have to work full-time. At this point, it wouldn't be until September 2009, which gives me some time. Applications aren't accepted until December... but I'll have to do some upgrading first, most likely, which means NOW. Hey - anyone know the difference between this "Pure Math 30" and the Math 30 (or, in my case, Math 33) that we took in high school?

I don't know. I love my current job, I just have a feeling that financially I won't be able to go much higher within the company. Maxed out after just 2 years... not great. Hard to see a bright future knowing that.

Also - I desperately MISS school! I love school. Of course, I should be more specific - I love MUSIC school. Who knows how I'll feel about another major. Then again - the music degree was crazy - sometimes taking as many as 9 or 10 courses per semester, (most majors allow a max of 5), plus hours and hours of practicing (on top of studying and writing papers and memorizing composer dates). Taking only 5 courses and ONLY having to study (ok, and raise 3 kids) sounds like a walk in the park to me.

Ahhh who knows.

There is still the chance that I'll just go back to teaching music and stay home with my kids!

Well, must be off to bed, busy week ahead!

3 comments:

Nancy B July 16, 2008 at 6:21 AM  

Have you considered an online degree? There are lots of interesting ones out there at U of A and at Athabasca U. I think you would love it because you get to write lots! Athabasca has an Masters of Education online, I think. I love school, love my degree program (maybe an option for you -- MA in Communications and Technology). I don't think that I could handle an in-person degree with Kai...

Actually have you ever considered Communications? IT is the most artsy position in the corporate world and there is a lots of admin and events planning involved. You would be a natural, I think...

bluemoon July 16, 2008 at 4:02 PM  

Wow, I'll have to chat with you more. I have no idea what Communications actually results in, career-wise! LOL!

I'm actually looking at nursing right now, but it's a really demanding program, so we'll see... online would be SO fantastic for me... to bad they just got rid of the distance nursing program.

Nancy B July 17, 2008 at 6:53 AM  

Here is some of the grad programs which Athabasca offers:

http://www.athabascau.ca/programs/graduate.php

Communications aka Public Relations is not a bad profession. With the boom, there are lots of jobs available. You can do a variety of things - internal comm, newsletter writing, publication design/writing, events, media relations...

Not nursing though :-)
But interest in drama helps...

And baby makes 5 2008 © Blog Design 'Felicidade' por EMPORIUM DIGITAL 2008

Back to TOP